Monday, September 11, 2017

Mario+Rabbids Kingdom Battle




On a slow day at work while I was watching the Ubisoft E3 conference and Mario+Rabbis Kingdom Battle was revealed so I sent out a hilarious tweet that “Nobody wants this #UbiE3”. Jesus Christ, Mike give stuff a chance. Moments after when Shigeru Miyamoto walked out on stage, the god damn creator of Mario, to give the rest of a kind of silent “this is going to be good” feeling I shut my Twitter app and watched the rest of the gameplay. Minutes after that I opened my Twitter app again and tweeted “I’m going to get this game aren’t I?”.


Kingdom Battle was the game none of us thought we wanted but ended up coming to grips with and from what I’ve seen have universally loved. While I’m not a huge fan of tactics games (I’m not one to think actions through before I do them) I loved the flow and gameplay of Kingdom Battle. I was able to slow myself down and tell myself, yes, you could do this one thing but if you do this first and then that, this you can clear the whole field of bad guys. I’m looking forward to delving into more strategy games soon and maybe I’ll learn to enjoy them more than I ever had. Sometimes you just need to slow down and take things one thought at a time.


The main thing that I think a lot of people were skeptical when the game was first leaked before official reveal was the addition of Ubisoft’s Rabbids characters. These guys were the minions before the minions and by golly do I loathe me some minions. Turns out, I was wrong again because every little noise these bastards made and stupids actions they did gave me a hearty chuckle more often than not. The world was fantastic as well blending the well known Mushroom Kingdom with the crazy antics of the Rabbids and made me want to explore beyond the linear walkways we were given..


In the end I was wrong (shocking). Don’t judge things before you see what they truly are. What I thought would be a stupid crossover that would maybe hit the low 70s on Metacritic because I didn't think two franchises could fit together ended up being one of my favorite games of the year. The difficulty did spike for me at the end but luckily there was an easy mode and for someone who doesn’t have time to waste on games that waste my time that thing was an amazing addition. I do hope the team behind this team gets another shot with the Mario IP because I’d love to see what they can do next. I’ve never played Super Mario RPG on the SNES so...maybe a remake would be cool?



No comments:

Post a Comment

Dragon Quest IV

I was hesitant to start Dragon Quest IV but since I'm playing through the whole series I knew I would have to get to it at some point. ...